Law enforcement officials are getting more efficient than ever, with cameras, radar technology, sobriety checkpoints and other methods to nab drivers who run red lights when they are in a hurry or lose track of the speed limit on a road where it changes frequently.
In an era of economic difficulty and slashed city and county budgets, it’s no wonder that local officials are turning towards traffic tickets as a new golden goose of revenue. A recent Washington Post article revealed that the District of Columbia has raised millions of new dollars through an increase in traffic ticket writing. That’s good news for municipal budgets and bad news for drivers, even careful and law-abiding ones.
The fact is: if you run a red light when making a left turn in a busy intersection, for instance, a camera will have a photo of your license plate before you get through the traffic mess. A few days later, you will be receive a ticket with a hefty fine in the mail, even if you were well into the intersection when the light was yellow.
At times like these, you might wonder if there is any relief in the legal system for drivers who are facing increased fines and citations.
Yes, there is, in the form of traffic lawyers, who are matching wits with the recent push to give out more tickets and collect more fines.
Even if you do not believe that you have any sort of case in traffic court, a competent traffic lawyer can help you to avoid the maximum fine, points off your license or even license suspension. These traffic lawyers have kept up to date with changes in the law and are eager to help their clients battle a system that seems to be increasingly rigged against them.
A good traffic ticket lawyer can assist you with your case in court in several ways. Here is a sampling of reasons why it’s a good idea to engage a skilled traffic lawyer when you get a citation:
- Traffic lawyers can find errors in the process of an officer writing a ticket or on the ticket itself. A well-trained traffic lawyer has eyes that can spot these errors in an instant. That might pay off for you in court. A quick look at your case and ticket can save you $250 or more as you go to court.
- A traffic lawyer can also make the prosecuting attorney believe that you have a very strong case, which might lessen the fight on the prosecution side of the aisle. Traffic lawyers have all sorts of language and tactics that they can use to indicate that they have a strong case, which can result in the other side waving the white flag and having your case dismissed or reduced to minimum penalties.
- An excellent Pennsylvania Traffic Ticket Attorney can move your violation into a category that has less serious ramifications for you. For instance, s/he can sometimes transform a speeding ticket into a non-moving violation, which will keep your insurance rates where they are at present. They also can lessen or strike DUI charges in certain instances, which will also keep your insurance payments stable. Traffic attorneys have seen just about every case possible come across their desks, and they know instantly what steps need to be taken and what words need to be used to get you out of court with minimal damage to your record and your wallet. The larger your fine and the more serious your violation, the more reason you have to hire a traffic attorney. In this case, it really does pay to hire a professional.
- An expert California traffic Ticket Attorney often knows the other attorneys in traffic court, as well as the judges. S/he can interact with these people without you being present and keep some cases from ever entering the courtroom (saving you time and money) and separating different offenses so that only one will be heard before a judge. This happens frequently with DUI and speeding charges. A quality New Jersey traffic Ticket attorney will keep those violations separate so that the damage to your record is not exponential, settling out of court on one or the other in many instances.
- New York Traffic Ticket attorneys have an excellent read on your city’s roads. Because of their experience and many cases handled in the past, they are able to inform the judge of particular roads where the signage is not clear about a one-way direction, for instance. This can lead the judge to have mercy on you. You would not know that Jones Street, for example, has had hundreds of people flagged for speeding a few feet after the speed limit changes near a school. Your traffic attorney will know that, however, and s/he can persuade the judge to go easy on you due to the poor markers on the road that the city is waiting to correct. This kind of insider knowledge is not available to the average citizen. You will need that sort of help in court when your day comes.
- If you decide to plead “not guilty” to a traffic charge, a helpful traffic attorney can make sure that your rights are respected throughout your hearing and case. Without a competent traffic lawyer by your side, you have no guarantee that you will be able to navigate the ins and outs of the legal system.
- If you have multiple offenses over the past few years, you are especially advised to find a premier traffic attorney. Seemingly minor violations can turn major very quickly if you have accumulated multiple offenses of traffic law in recent years. That can have huge consequences, even leading to the loss of your license. The fees that you will pay a traffic lawyer will be well worth keeping your license. Florida Traffic Ticket Attorneys know that they can alter penalties to include defensive driving courses rather than license confiscation or repeated written exams rather than huge fines.